Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Cake Part Deux

I am a big believer in reading directions. So I'm lucky I read a little bit ahead to know the cake had to freeze for 2 hours. But I also have a tendency to read parts rather than the whole thing which is what happened when I realized I needed pastry bags (pastry bags!). But the kind people who wrote the instructions foresaw my lack of pastry bags and round tips so they included directions on making a sandwich baggy a pastry bag which my amazing and kind husband was so kind as to make for me (I needed 6).

So then I set to work frosting the cake. I cut out the template, which was itself an adventure, and laid it on the cake and the directions called for outlining the template with the dull end of a paintbrush but that seemed, well I didn't have one of those either, so I used a flat head screwdriver (yes I washed it first!). So by now I'm sweating bullets. Vaughn is so beyond excited about this cake and if I screw up Mickey's ears I'm going to feel awful. So the chocolate is first and I'm thinking I can do this....then the white hand, a little scary and not as pretty, but okay. So I keep going...red clubhouse, yellow foot, blue slide, and it's looking good and then the very last thing, the windows. This involves icing blue on top of the red and then outlining it with the chocolate. I don't know about this part and I will be soooooo ticked if this last thing ruins my perfect cake....and....

GET THIS, IT TURNED OUT!!!!!!!!!

I did a happy dance, a couple actually, and was very pleased to be able to show V his Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Birthday Cake. Whoo-hoo!! And here's the pic to prove it:

9 comments:

the duffsters said...

SO CUTE!! Way to go! When I made Parkers monkey cake I made a rough draft a month earlier just to see what I was getting myself into...

Lisa said...

Nice work, Apryl!

Whitney Seaberg said...

Looks GOOD :) Good job lady :) Hope Vaughn enjoyed his birthday! POST PICS OF IT!! LOVE YA!

Kristy E.B. said...

Nice work! I'm impressed with your cake making skills.

Greco Family said...

Ok you ROCK! I love it. You did awesome. I hope he had a great day!

Hi I'm Apryl said...

Thanks guys. You're all so sweet!

Kara said...

I am completely impressed! I don't think I would have the patience or the coordination to pull something like that off...awesome job! I bet Vaughn totally loved it!

Mindy B said...

The cake turned out great!! Good job. :)

"M" Clan said...

You're awesome!! Seriously, that is way cool! Happy Birthday Vaughn!!