Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Cake Part 1

So Vaughn asked me for a Mickey Mouse clubhouse cake for his 4th birthday which is supposed to look like this:



I'm like, (oh so naively) this will be so fun and easy and look how cute it is and then I go to buy the stuff to make it:

1 box of cake mix.
Food coloring.
4 16-ounce containers of vanilla frosting - thinking wow that's a lot of frosting what exactly am i getting myself into. Then,...
1 16-ounce container of dark chocolate frosting - looking deeply at the picture now thinking how exactly am I supposed to do this? but I'm sure I can handle it...


So today I start making the cake and I'm going along fine and the directions state "Print out the 2-page template (template!) and tape together. (Oh boy this is going to be interesting)
So I printed out the template (template!) and have to cut it out, trace it, and insert one of the 5 frosting colors I ended up having to make with the year supply of frosting on hand.

Right now my cake is cooling and soon I will have to go draw a light blue sky and green grass. Wish me luck with the rest. I'll update with the rest of my tale and a pic of how it turns out. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

the duffsters said...

This is CUTE! I can't wait to see how it turns out. :) ... How do you use a template? Do you lay it on that cake? haha... i don't know...??

Angie Larkin said...

Um...I'm nervous for you. That looks so easy but is probably hard now that you explained it:) I remember staying up til 3 a.m. making Afton's castle cake a couple years ago. It was dang cute, but way more work than I signed up for. I say we get out some spoons and eat frosting and watch the chihuahua movie! Good luck:)